Sunday, June 6, 2010

Thanks For Sticking With Me: Ken Griffey Jr.

When I got my hands on my first packs of 86 topps when I was 8, I sorted them into teams, and then into positions and back again until they were ragged.
Not long after, I learned what a rookie card was, and started to read Beckett. By the time I was 10, "monetary value" came into play.
Epiphany.

Today I want to pay tribute to the one man who was the focus of my first era of chasing rookie cards, and managed to weather an incredible storm, only to be doing fine (err) when I returned to the hobby just 5 short years ago.

Now, I have to admit, the Cincinnati Reds leave a bad taste in my mouth. Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench are a few of the extremely rare exceptions. When it comes ot the National League, I am a Brewers fan exclusively. I hate the Cubs (hate is a strong word), and the reds just kind of make me sickish. I try not to think about the Pirates except for ADMcClutchen.

This makes it all the more ironic that my favorite auto and GU (both pictured below) that I have pulled since 05, are both in reds unis...so be it. I love them. I pulled them, and they are in the "mine" boxes, likely never to be traded. That being said, I have a few more of my favorite KGJr. cards pictured here.

The top six cards pictured below are original pulls from my Original Collection. There have been many occurences that brought low the extent of my card collection from the old days, and someday I will feel comfortable sharing the stories, but today is all about Kenny.

No, I never owned the 89 upper Deck RC, but I will purchase it soon for my permanent "Personal Heritage" collection.
Thanks Ken, I wish I could have lived a little closer, or seen a more games, but we'll call it even because you had the gift from the start. Your athleticism, sportsmanship and smile will be missed.
Carry on.



No comments:

Post a Comment